Friday, 26 June 2015

Tramping

Vacation is coming up. We are going tramping around the French country side for a few weeks. We go with just rudimentary knowledge of French, limited if any wi-fi, tent and backpack. With a large dose of flexibility we go mostly to see just what happens and to enjoy the moment.

We walk, bus or train between camp sites (as the French do not like wild camping). We eat in fancy restaurants, heat a can of ravioli on the camping cooker or picnic on cheese from the market and pan complet from the boulangerie. We sit, talk, read and look at everything we find along the way. We look at things that may not be there anymore.

The plan is to go without much of a plan.

This year we go to Picardy and we have no return tickets booked. We can roam freely without thinking about where we end up. There is so much to see, even if we will limit ourselves to the time period of the 14th to the 16th century. The train and bus communications are good and there a many different ways to get back home. If it rains, we go somewhere else. If there are too many tourists, we walk into the woods.

So if you see a middle aged couple with backpacks in Picardy next month, do stop and give us a lift if it is raining, will you?

5 comments:

  1. I like the idea of this holiday, no plans just go where the mood takes you. Sounds like fun. Nice to have a like-minded partner to do it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the man is a great addition but I did travel in this way when I was young (and younger) and nobody wanted to join me.

      Delete
  2. Travel without an itinerary does sound like fun. Especially if you time travel to the 14th to 16th century. I don't think they have wi-fi there, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great fun! Come and join us! I can live without wi-fi (I think, if I had to) but I prefer to look at the 15th century from a distance, also liking (like!) hygiene, safety, democracy et al.

      Delete
    2. France is one of my wife's favorite countries. She speaks French so we were always treated pleasantly there though people say the French are rude I never found it to be so. I worked with the French foreign legion and paras in Lebanon during 1982 and 1983. Very professional.

      Delete