Friday, 24 July 2015

Matisse

Matisse has met me during the summer in two exhibitions.

One permanent in his home town of Cateau-Cambrésis (also known as Le Cateau in Picardy (Pas-de-Calais) and one in Amsterdam at the Stedelijk Museeum.

Both times it is not the cut-outs that have touched me the most - although they are delightful, nor is it the photographs of the movies - although I never will forget them; it is the drawings.

We now draw Matisse faces all over the house. One met me in the fogged up mirror of the shower this morning. Most of them watch us with delight from the white-board in our toilet room. Those that  I drew in my sketch-book all look like French cab drivers and they all insisted on a moustache.

PS: I had to go to Cateau-Cambrésis this summer because the peace treaty between France and Spain was signed there on 3 April 1559. There was nothing left to see. I also went to the Abbey (Chateau) Cercamp in the village of Frèvent as the negotiations started there in October 1558. There is more to see there. A visit is recommended if you have any interest in French history - the owner will tell and show all during the visit as all periods are represented there. Open every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment