Friday, 31 July 2015

OnlyNow

Future, n. That period of time in which our affairs prosper, our friends are true and our happiness is assured.
– Ambrose Bierce, The Devil’s Dictionary

I write with the perspective of the past and about now. I make plans and I set targets, but they are concrete and specific. I always follow up on my goals.

I avoid talking about the idyllic future, my hopes and my dreams. There are enough bloggers (and dead blogs) to read out there filled with ambitious plans that came to nothing.
The gold can very easily become sand.

3 comments:

  1. I am older than you , i think, ( i am sure:). i have more past then future,and i also dont think that one can plan an idyllic future, i worry a lot about the future of my(grown up) children, may be i should not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how many "when I get rich/thin/old, I will move to Portugal/Monaco/Nice and drink wine in the sun/surf all day/do everything I do not have time for/be happy ever after" blogs posts that I read every month.
      (I am old enough to be a grand-mother but I am not so you win the "results of past projects" category.)

      Delete
    2. Oops. And here I just admitted on another post that my wife and I are moving to Costa Rica when she retires! Now my credibility is shot. :-)

      But, I think we will.

      Delete