Thursday, 27 August 2015

FrugalFood


As a migrant worker (although of a quite different kind), I have settled into an extreme frugal life-style. 

I usually have no access to a fridge and most days also no stove. This creates some challenging choices when buying food. I am also moving from place to place and this developes some interesting experiences. Most of the time however, there is access to hot water by using a kettle water cooker.

As it is not uncommon to aim for a simple lifestyle or a life on the road, (I am inspired by Vantrekker)
this is how I eat and what works for me:
Breakfast is oat meal porridge with salt and made with hot water. If I double the amount of water and let it sit in the bowl 5-10 minutes, the porridge turns out perfect. Sugar (comes with occasional take-out coffees) is added on top for days when I feel sorry for myself, but I do not need it.

Lunch is a lot of dark, heavy whole grain bread (pumpernickel, Schwarzbrot or something similar dense and filling) with a can of sardines in oil. The fish and the oil adds essential nutrients and minerals and keeps me full a long time. I alternate with tinned liver pâté and knäckebröd.

Dinner is a choice from couscous, noodles, instant pasta or mashed potatoes from powder with a sauce made from a soup in a cup portion or mixed with can of beans in tomato sauce or tinned veggies.

Snacks during the day and especially in the evening consist of vegetables, primarily raw carrots or a jar of pickled gherkins (but I admit, there will be sweets too when I am feeling sorry for myself). If I can, I hard boil 6 eggs and take with me. They last several days if it is not too warm. Nuts would be an easier choice but they do not agree with me.

I drink instant coffee with powdered milk or tea but mostly water from the tap into my water bottle. 

If I can, I go out for beers, pizza or pick up half a grilled chicken from the market. 
However, I do not have to. I can feed myself straight out of my handbag.

This diet is cheap (dirt cheap) and simple Unopened packages can be carried through all customs, onto planes or without consequences be left for next visit. 
Additionally, it is very filling and very healthy. 
I am not a "prepper", just organized and flexible.

2 comments:

  1. You would have to be pretty flexible to live such a nomadic existence. It seems a hard life but you are clearly thriving.

    I still need to go back and read your blog from inception. I've never run across one quite like it.

    In America, a prepper can be a lot of things. Someone like you, organized to be self sufficient and relying only on yourself, is actually a type of prepper here. Prepper covers quite a spectrum. I'm not a prepper. It's a relatively new term I dislike because it sounds "yuppy" and a lot of people use it to distinguish themselves from the older practitioners of self reliance, (like me.)

    I have read your post on your diet several times over. You seem to lead a very spartan existence but you must be happy doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I read the parts I could read and your blog is very interesting. Your life style is radically different from my own, perhaps that is why I found your writing so intriguing.

    I never did figure out what happened to you to set you on this path, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

    I left some comments. Tried not to leave too many. You could make some money writing. Lots of magazines here would publish your articles I think.

    ReplyDelete