Sunday, 23 August 2015

Migrating

I am off line a lot for a few weeks.
 I am migrating across the European borders and back again and it is not always possible for me to get a connection.

I am grateful for my legal passport, my valid credit card and my skin colour but we are all equally left in line, wondering whoever is going to come out of the train bathroom. We all wonder when the violence is going to hit us. When, not if.

My home-home town is torn apart by very violent gang rivalry, military style criminal actions and individual loose guns. The last week I have arson on one side of my street , stabbings in the middle and random hand grenades thrown on the other side. I am restricted in my movements and I worry about my house. There is no solution in sight.
My mothers home town half burned down last week. Possibly an accident but the 450 year old houses burn anyway. The property owners had disconnected the direct fire alarms due to budget cuts. One dead. National cultural heritage gone forever. Bi-centennial failure.
My new home town is flooding with water and we have had to empty the basement. Climate change dries the land in one part of the continent and drowns the other. Individuals die in the water every week ant it not only the tourists who does not know better.
My old home town is the training centre for militia, military and murderous kamikazie jihadists on crusades only second to those of Richard the Lionheart and Bernard of Clairvaux. Security, police and military on the streets; it will blow again and it will be soon. Today?

I have nowhere to go back to that is safe. I must deal with the risks or find someplace completely new. Nowhere is as safe as the safety I grew up with.

We are them, they are us, we are one, the world is global and it is happening to us.
It is happening to me. 
If it is not happening to you, tell me where you are and I will come and seek refuge there.


15 comments:

  1. Sounds grim lass, perhaps the North-lands would be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The North-lands in the imaginary past of my childhood, not then as it actually was and not now as it really is. Just dealing with it.

      Delete
  2. I know that feeling,all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you do, I was thinking of you.

      Delete
    2. I think i know what is going in your mother's town. there was a lot about it in our TV. I was thinking a lot about your post long after i read it, not many people understand what you do.

      Delete
    3. Really? That is surprising! I suppose it serves some purpose showing that bad things happen in pretty towns too.

      Delete
    4. It was about the spreading of the Islam in europe. Ideleted my other comments in your blog here beacause the are dubble.

      Delete
    5. Personally I think the flavour of the faith is irrelevant. It is when faith and lifestyle becomes rules for others, that people seem to have lost it.

      Delete
  3. I just saw your blog as I was reading Yael's. It's interesting. You don't have a profile, so I will have to go back and read your older posts to figure out more about you in order to understand your posts. But I believe it will be interesting and worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be in for a chocker, my friend! Welcome!

      Delete
  4. Stay safe and enjoy your visit to your mother. A visit home is always the best visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even close to the town of my mother, it wasn't me!!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete