Thursday, 13 August 2015

Recipes

As always inspired by An Exacting life I took a look at my recipe book.

It is an A4 ring bound blank notebook (the cover is odd so I assume it was the cheapest one I could find at the time. It still makes me smile inside every time though.)

The book is at least fifteen years old by now and filled about four fifth. The first recipes are of course older as they came out of a collection gathered for a long time. The latest are from this year. The recipes are all put in with small pieces of plastic tape. I do go through the different recipes occasionally and the tape allows me to take out the ones that have become uninspiring.

I am not a great cook, and I most certainly do not follow recipe when cooking. 

The best way to cook cheaply is to start with something cheap and recipes are great for inspiration when buying food...

Consequently, my recipes are organised after their main ingredients. The choice of main ingredient have changed over time depending on where I have lived and how I cook.

The categories are chronological and very jumbled but I can find what I look for quite easily. 

If I sort the categories so they can possibly make sense to anybody else, they are as follows:
Cod - Fish balls - Clams - Squid - Octopus - Salmon - Herring
Pancakes - Eggs - Cheese - Filo - Tortilla - Bread
Chicken - Meat balls (mince meat) - Liver - Lamb
Potatoes - Cabbage - Onions - Fennel - All other vegetables
Red lenses - Beans - Chick peas
Polenta - Couscous - Bulgur - Quinoa
Noodles - Pasta - Gnocchi - Rice

I am a main course kind of person. I do not really eat desserts or sweets but my recipe book also includes recipes given to me as memories.

9 comments:

  1. I love your book and the way you organized it. Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks forever for all inspiration!

      Delete
  2. While I am not a bad cook my wife is much better so she does most of it. I may get more serious about it when (if) I get older. There is very little that I won't eat and nothing I won't try. If it wasn't for the farm I would be huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both - the man is an excellent cook too. Good thing you and me didn't set up house.

      Delete
  3. Gravad Lax is a favourite. Good to see you have the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love gravad lax and I do make my own ever since I was tought to do it when working in a kitchen during a school summer. Do you need the recipe?

      Delete
  4. I love your recipe book. My recipes also mostly relate to main courses and are strangely organised by countries, like Hungary, Czech, and Russian and then the Med lumped all together. My Delia Smith cookbook covers most other things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stand Delia and her overworked recipies. Alhough I got them from a lovely friend, I've given my books to the charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's ok for timing and that's all I use if for, a reference book. I never use a recipe from her. I was employed by her once and cant stand her. She couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

      Delete