Thursday, 10 September 2015

Rainjacket3


The new rain jacket has been bought.

After a long, a very long process filled with contemplation, searching the internet, trying on jackets of different models and price levels as well as waiting for the right moment (after the summer season), I have now bought it. The rain jacket that will last me the next ten years.

The new jacket does fulfil all criteria:
- fits perfectly, long enough sleeves, goes down past the waist and roomy around the shoulders (because I am blessed with a lot of body, I got a man’s sized jacket)
- black (no other colour or accent except a small logo (that I will not mention)
- high quality protection against the rain
- excellent hood
- thumb grip for the sleeves
- high pocket to fit the waist band for the back pack without problems
- lower at the back than the front to keep it from riding up
- small and light weight

Although the jacket does not pack into its own pocket, it rolls up small (two fists of a child) and weights less than 250 grams.

The only negative thing was of course the price. 
I not only had to pay for it, I had to pay full price for it. The only financial benefit was that the jacket is the brand’s previous model and, truly in the back corner of a very chaotic sport shop, I managed to find a black jacket in my size with the at least last years price tag on it. 
I saved at least 20% on the price in comparison to this years model. This years model has apparently improvements but I’m not sure they are worth the money or that I completely agree with them being improvements. 
I have tried on so many jackets, and I have almost bought several of them. But I remembered the list of mandatory requirements, especially the one that it has to be black, and never went back to get it after the waiting period.

The jacket I did buy has already saved me from being completely soaked on several occasions.

Now I only have to figure out what to do with the old and not very good jacket. Donate is obvious, but to a general collection or to a specific person? There is a beggar-street musician I keep an eye out for; however, he is a quite a bit smaller than me so the jacket might be too big for him and besides, he would probably be better of with a rain jacket that actually would keep him dry. 
I will figure something out and find a good next user for it.

2 comments:

  1. I have been through this too, and ended up buying an expensive and completely waterproof jacket that I trust will last for many years. I've had it over a year now and it's been well tested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is indeed a process and I think you are identifying the most important, that jackets must be trusted!

      Delete