Saturday, 19 September 2015

Waitingperiod

All expensive purchases requires a waiting period.

I only buy expensive things after a waiting period. More expensive means more than €10 and most certainly everything over €50. The waiting period is commonly also used for less expensive items, but then more to make sure I need what I buy, and do not only need the buying experience.

The waiting period includes to identify exactly what it is I am going to buy and if possible, also what I am willing to pay for it. 
To identify exactly what I need and what I want includes establishing exactly what it is going to be used for as well as quality, quantity, function, form and fit. 
This goes for everything. 

A frame for my lead soldier had to be black, small, deep, specific with and be less than 1 €. There were frames for less than that that I found but they were larger than what I needed or they were not black, which was what I wanted. It took several months to find the right frame but now when it is on the wall, it is perfect. 
The conditions for my new rain jacket were developed in the same way.

Developing the requirements for the purchase give me time to establish what I want and to see if I really want it. Primarily it also gives me time to see if I can fill my want and my need in some other way. Sometimes my need can be filled in some other way than I thought, occasionally through something I already own or can fix/find/fabricate. Sometimes my need turns out to have been a want and after a cooling period of a day or a month, it falls away. I have items on my wish list that have been there a very long time but I do not seem to do anything to acquire them so they are definitely only wants and not needs.

The waiting period is still at least a walk around the block, after the perfect item has been located. A 30 days cool off period is used for more expensive items and an indefinite cool off period for items I have not thought through in advance.

I break this rule every so often. I am however becoming better and better at it. When out and about in shops, I force myself to just making a note, an actual physical note on a piece of paper or my phone, about what I want (or would have bought if I didn't have a brain). 

When I come home and look at the list, I often laugh at myself. 
Why why why did I yesterday really though about buying a blue bra? Just because it looked like it had the right shape and possibly could fit and was cheap? A BLUE bra, really?? 
The wish list states a need for a white bra with a specific shape. A blue bra will most certainly not fill the need! Regardless of price. 
I am so silly in shops sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. I am not quite as methodical as you, but I go through a similar process, usually. I get excited about something and see if the excitement lasts. Usually, it doesn't last and I go on with life as it is. However, once in a while I get a notion and have to act on it since it is a short lived opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that some excitements do not last must be saving you a lot of money, Jono, not investing in temporary fades. I tend to come back to certain interests after a few years, so I need to hang on to things that I do not use for a good while to see if I really am not interested any more.

      Delete
  2. I very rarely buy things and know because of life's experience that I can do without new things beyond the necessities.

    However, when I walk back to the train in the afternoon after working I always see people with bags containing their purchases of the day. They are often poor looking people. My overwhelming desire is to go over and question them as to whether they thought about what they have bought and whether there is a requirement for it without which they could not live. I never had your will power but I have learned that mostly we can do without things. I am late reading this because I am catching up on your blog today after my holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better to teach in advance than scold after the fact. Good to see you back after your holiday.

      Delete