Saturday, 31 October 2015

ERE20-OwnClassics

Owning classics will always be the result of making long term investments for each item ever purchased.

My classics have not always been bought that way. Most of them have sort of just been left around when everything else was worn out, left behind or donated.

My watch is about ten years old by now but it is the style and has the same functions as my first non-child watch had. (Time, date and day of the week - all fitted in a ladies watch.
My shoes have changed the last few years with my lifestyle. They are all still black though, as well as all my socks (except my happy socks).
My books are a choice collection and most was sold when I sold the house. I still have a complete collection of old, but not first, editions of Dorothy L Sawyer's books about Lord Peter Wimsey.
My mirror will stay with me forever while my bicycle is ex-changeable.
I hold a few heirlooms from the family, such as jewellery and keep-sakes, but pictures are what I will hang on to primarily.
Few if any of my daily furniture are important, but some are in my mother's house.

Owning classics for me primarily means that I only own one of each item that I need.
I still have much more than I need, my superfluous days are not that long gone so I have not used up or worn out everything yet.

Only own classics if you are going to use them. Note to self too: keep the emotional attachments to physical items to a minimum. Especially large items such as furniture. They do bog down and they do hold you in one place. They most certainly do not identify yourself.

The less you know about brand names and other marketing strategies, the more focused on use and usability you will become. If your pen has a star or not is not important ... especially if you do not write anything any more.

However, just today I became the proud owner of a classic. The antique shop down the road had placed it in their Free to take-box. I came home skipping happy and the man was as pleased as I could have hoped for. All plans for the evening and the weekend changed. Tonight we play an almost unused Dutch language version of an approximately 1992 edition of the Genius version of Trivial Pursuit.
If you don't hear from me tomorrow...





No comments:

Post a Comment