Saturday, 28 November 2015

Books4NonFiction

I read mostly non-fiction.
I also love books.
Consequently, I own a lot of books that is non-fiction.

In the great move of 2014, I got rid of 4/5 of all existing books and before that, in 2009 when the tenants took possession of the house, another half was sent off. Through my life, I always have had a long-term relationship with my books. (In feng shui terms they were in my relationship corner both literally and figuratively).

Currently (as it is a fluctuating number) I have the following amount of non-fiction books per shelf:
41 books on art and Scandinavian history.
33 books on poetry including a few volumes published by friends.
30 books on 16th century Scandinavian and western European history.
42 books by Arthur Quiller-Couch and on British poetry of the 18th and 19th century.
46 books on architecture, history of science, science and history.
33 books on Western European 16th century history, especially Alison Weir.
18 books of comics including Nemi, Arne Anka, Jan Stenmark and Sempé as well as books on music and brass works.
41 books on historiography, sociolinguistics and other things and a little hidden are the collective works by Alain de Botton (which might be on its way out relatively soon if his current attitude does not change).

In total that makes 244 books of non-fiction.
I might have forgotten some by the bed, on the dining room table, by the sofa, and borrowed by the man. I probably should make that an even 250 just to not make my madness seem any better than it is.


3 comments:

  1. Ah, onion got peeled back a bit. If I got my math right you have been owner of over 4000 books in some point of your life. This is a complicated relationship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are topic areas that appeal much to me and and match some of my own non-fiction. Except I know embarrassingly little about Scandanavian history which is surprising given their influence on the course of English history.

      Delete
    2. Risto: all very loving and individual relationships I might add. They loved me as much as I loved them. (I do not question your calculations.)
      Philip: Ah, but we still have fond memories of the fat monks at Lindisfarne...

      Delete