Thursday, 5 November 2015

Dictionaries2015

I am starting the November Task with one specific section of books.
I own a lot of books for learning languages. In the 2014 clear out, some was cleared out, especially lower level German but also for Spanish and Hungarian (which I now regret as these languages slide away from me).
I still own 31 dictionaries, word books, study guides and course books.
Currently in my possession are the following books per language:

French
Say it in French pocket (written 1962 and it is pure entertainment to read)
Oxford English-French pocket
Svensk-fransk pocket
French Verb pack
Norstedts franska ordbok Édition étudiant
Escalade 2 (text, exercise and correction book)
Ny fransk grammatik
Teach yourself French in 24 hours
Alter Ego 1 (text and exercise book)
Vokabeltrainer auf Audio-CD: Französisch

English
Thesaurus pocket
Engelsk Universitetsgrammatik
The Concise English Dictionary (one of my favourite books, I would bring this on a deserted island, it contains so many interesting facts. Bought in London 1983 for £3.99)
Modern Svensk-Engelsk-Svensk ordbok

German
Svensk-Tyskt pocket
Tysk-svensk-tysk ordbok
Norstedts tyska ordbok
Modern tysk grammatik
Erkundungen Deutch als Fremdsprache Sprachniveau B2

Dutch
Dutch for travellers pocket
Colloquial Dutch
Klare taal (in progress)
Zo gezegd 2 Nederlands voor anderstaligen, text and exercise book (Flemish Dutch and although officially there is no difference, there is a difference!)
Nederlands module 2.1 (on the list of things to do)
Study pack from Joost Weet Het!

Spanish
Svensk-spansk pocket
Spansk-svensk-spansk ordbok

Danish
Norstedts danska ordbok

Swedish
Grammatiskt ABC
Svenska akademins ordlista

8 språk pocket: dictionary with 8 different languages in parallel.

Most of the study books are used, some are in current use and others are on the list of things to do (at least of the things I want to do).
I do find it helpful to go back to the texts I know when revising a language. I do not use dictionaries outside of regular class or school situations but then they are essential. Almost daily, however, I use an on-line language training and teaching site.

But really; 31 dictionaries and language books. Nobody needs that many, not these days. 

11 comments:

  1. I have French and German dictionaries. I have two Polish language tuition books together with cds and a tape to listen to in the car for Polish vocabulary and pronunciation without translation. I have Czech and Russian dictionaries and a children's Russian dictionary which is very useful for basic and useful vocabulary. When I gave away most of my books two years ago I kept all my language books and my maps. I find they are useful to have. I also have a selection of English dictionaries and keep one at work with me and one by my chair here. There is one in the room where we eat and one upstairs in the bookcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maps! Indeed! Me and the man both have stacks of maps - that is really something I do not want to inventory. But I fear that now I must...

      Delete
  2. I have three Chinese-English dictionaries. It take the utmost diligence to look up a word written in Chinese characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as if there is also quite a bit of knowledge (of Mandarin?) available to even be able to exert any amount of diligence! I am envious - my seven words can only take me home politely. As long as I live in the corner of €%&/ and =)(/

      Delete
  3. Ilearn languages by hearing, that how i know German and Ffrench,less by books,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but then I want to write a note and my ears do not know how to spell.

      Delete
  4. That is also my problem, you can see it in the way i write in English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me are both in that same boat!

      Delete
  5. That is also my problem, you can see it in the way i write in English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learn Polish by hearing and I do not have a clue how to write the words down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it should al right for languages that are primarily learned to be used for verbal communication. And a lot more impressive than knowing nothing at all!

      Delete