Thursday, 19 November 2015

KitchenCupboard

My neighbours have renovated again. This time by the look of it, a bathroom.
What they put out to trash was about two litres (in a five litre bucket) of high-hygienic water-based medium-gloss white paint. Exactly what I need for my kitchen cupboard in my little apartment (there is only one kitchen cupboard).

Painting is easy but it is not the task that provides the good final result.
To get a good result from the easy paining, the preparations are essential. And those are not easy.
The preparatory work takes time, as there are several steps with drying time between. It does not help, that I seem to only paint in houses where the previous painter has been an amateur (the man included).


For the kitchen cupboards, I wrote a list of all steps so that I could cross them out one by one and feel good about it. This is the list and it has now been executed:
- Wipe down everything with washing liquid to degrease it.
- Scrape or scrub off all paint the previous owner painted on handles, tiles etc.
- Scrape with a hard scraping iron off all bubbles, drips, spilled plaster, brush hair and all and anything stuck in the paint.
- Wipe with dry cloth the dust off. Here I also had to remove seven thumb-tacks under the paint. (Why would anybody cover thumb-tacks with paint?? (effing amateurs grumble mutter…)
- Sandpaper everything. Don't be shy about it. If you can see it now, you will also be able to see it with the paint covering it. Paint does not fill cracks.
- Wipe with dry cloth the dust off.
- Scrape again as something will undoubtedly be found that is easier to scrape off rather than sandpapering it down.
- Wipe the dust off with a wet cloth.
- Wash with paint cleaner (soda) in the suitable strength.
- Let it dry. (Takes longer than you think).
- Wipe with dry cloth.

- NOW it is good to plaster anything uneven. I had no plaster at home so I ....
- added the base coat first to all inner sides and shelves (three, and I painted it with an old radiator brush – perfect actually).
- Wait for seven hours minimum until it stops stinking and is completely dry. (A little tea light burns the smell particles and helps a bit if you as I have to sleep in the same room.) Opening the window only helps with the smell but slows the drying time if the temperature outside is less than about 15 degrees C. When the shops opened, I bought plaster, and touched up all little cracks and unevenness with my smallest plastering iron.
- Wipe the plaster even with a wet sponge to get as many of the ridges off as possible. Let plaster dry, sandpaper, wipe, dry.
- Repaint with base coat.
- Dry while waiting seven hours.

- Add top coat. This was so easy because my neighbour uses really good, brand-name paint and my base-coat was some supermarket quality.
Because it is inside a narrow cupboard with overhang it took three quarter of an hour to do the base coat with a brush. I used a small sponge-roller for the top coat, even if I then had two tools to clean. It still saved so much time.
- Wait to dry the top-coat. (I went and used the remaining paint on trimmings, rails in the wardrobe and some other details around the house. When I came back the top coat was dry-ish.
I will add another top coat of pain(t) tomorrow because I have it easily available. The sponge-roller rests in a plastic bag until then and it will make it look not only OK, but really good.
Then finally, I will be able to put everything back into the cupboard (of course going through everything, washed it, and got rid of a few plastic buckets at least.) Puhu!
Total cost for a newly painted, hygienic, fresh-looking inside of a kitchen cupboard - the cost of plaster. All the rest were tools I already have (and have too much of) and the left-overs of my neighbours.

This was the final result:

No comments:

Post a Comment