Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Rain2015

I live in rain countries, I cycle all year around and I like being out of doors.
Consequently I need rain clothes.

Currently I have the following rain appropriate clothes and gear.
- Brown rain boots (proper rubber boots, bought for €10 in Belgium 2011, used rarely and unless new loose soles are put in, not very comfortable to walk in. Essential for those special days.)
- Rain jacket, black (Bought probably 2006 - and its lovely new upgraded replaced bought 2015)
- Rain trousers, black (Excellent, bought a long, long, long time ago and will be used for another 20 years. Got a new elastic for the waist put in this year.)
- Umbrellas: 2 (I hate umbrellas, they are not for out of doors when it rains in any of my countries but they can be useful, I agree for that expected down pour when dressed nicely and crossing from the bus to the opera - or something). I have one white with the European Parliament logo, gifted probably 2010 that is occasionally brought but rarely used. I have one enormous (thing gargantuan over-sized golf umbrella) from a client in Germany, with their logo; gifted at a memorable visit in 2008 (possibly never used, and possibly never will and possibly will never got rid of).

In rain, I also use hiking boots, single layer synthetic knitted gloves (bright green, bought for €0.50 around 2005 and still refusing to break or wear out) and/or cap used when hiking (newly acquired in 2015 in France from the friends in Saint Quentin for €2.50).

Unfortunately, I brought nothing of this with me to the far north where I an right now. Expecting snow and cold, I instead got a week of pouring rain. I will be wet and cold for a week. My hotel room has a bathtub and it will hopefully drive out the cold in the evenings.

8 comments:

  1. I share your feelings about umbrellas. Apart from generally getting in the way, it is so often very windy when it rains they put up such a resistance to the idea of being helpful that dislike turns to hate. Now I spend so much more time outdoors, for the first time in my life I have bought a hat. It is a leather bush hat with a brim. (No baseball caps for me). I'm still making up my mind whether it suits me but I have found it very effective especially at keeping the rain off my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My head does not comply with hats in general, but I can handle a bush hat (and I look good in a hard hat!) I'm sure you look fine and anyway better than all others left soggy and blind by the rain.

      Delete
  2. Years ago cyclists used to wear large yellow rain capes that covered not only themselves but also the bike. One doesn't see these any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good reminder. Maybe we could try sewing them? From all the old unused umbrellas?

      Delete
  3. I also hate umbrellas. I prefer to wear a good rain hat and jacket and then I am often not aware that it is raining at all and when I return indoors and am asked if it is raining I really do not know unless I look to see if my hat is wet. I have a very old, fold up umbrella without any magic flip opening and opens only as I want it to, slowly without hitting someone in the eye, and I carry this at the bottom of my rucksack if the weather threatens very heavy rain because I walk one mile each way to work from the railway station. It rarely gets used though. I remember the yellow rain capes described by Cro but I have not seen one for years and had in fact forgotten all about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if carrying an umbrella actually keeps the rain away?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the European Parliament doing producing something useful like an umbrella? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When is anything they do possible to explain after the fact? :)

      Delete