Sunday, 6 December 2015

Hair2015

I have hair.
It costs me money to have hair.

The total cost is probably around €20, which includes one 300 ml bottle of expensive shampoo, four to six bottles of shampoo costing 38 euro-cents each, some hair brightener for about €2 and some hair spray to hold it down, about €2. Per year. Total. No, I am not joking.
This is my budget for the year on hair.

I save small bottles of conditioner from hotel visits for my hair which it likes in the summer. They also provide some additional shampoo. Yesterday I also got two trials of hair conditioners in the shop when I bought a new toothbrush and toothpaste. Score!
  
I cut my own hair.
I have a pair of scissors that are at least twenty years old but never, ever at all, are used for anything else than cutting hair. I use my lovely hand held mirror hung on a hook in the bathroom so I can see the back. I use my long arms and I cut small, small, small sections of the hair at the time.
I have straight hair so every flaw shows. It usually turns out fine.
I cut the top layer last and slightly longer than the rest to cover it all.
I have a style, I stick to a style. I let it grow out and re-cut it every five-six months or so.

How much do I save?
How much is a hair cut? 15€ 60€? 90€ with highlights? Tell me, what is normal these days?
Spaarolifantje has a monthly budget of €20 for haircuts and clothing which she stays within. I have not seen anybody else budgeting hair costs separately.
How often does normal people cut their hair? Every six to eight weeks?

Wait - am I saving €60 six times a year, €540 a year to cut my own hair?
That is a lot of money! That is rent for a month! Or food for almost two. Or quite a nice vacation.
Or with 4 % interest rates, over €20 a year for ever.

My hair cut makes me look as if I am just about to start my last year in an all boy's choir (think Wiener Sängerknaben). Instead of looking an old saggy almost 48, that I suppose, is worth a bit too.

10 comments:

  1. The cost of having hair must be considered cheap at the price unless you are naturally bald. I pay £10 (about 14 euros) every six weeks for a haircut. My shampoo lasts for ages and don't use any other products. My family say they can see gray hair coming through but I've never noticed. I could not contemplate cutting my own hair as I would make a complete mess of it. Around £96 or 134 euros per annum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budgeting £100 for hair in 2016 is a good start, but don't forget to shave.

      Delete
  2. Many women I know pay $90 CDN every 8 weeks for a colour and cut. Before I decided to let my hair go grey, I paid $50 every 4 weeks at a bargain place. Now I just get a cut every 4-6 weeks for $20. So am still paying $175-$275 a year just for hair cuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a big save with a little change. I am greying too or rather in my case changing from gold to silver but I will have many more years with an inbetween colour. You have a lovely colour!

      Delete
  3. Hello! I lavish my hair with nonsense - expensive shampoo and conditioner because it really works better for mine, moroccan oil, and morrocan oil hair spray for my regular silly bumpit hair. For stage I use Keune which is three times the price of supermarket brand stuff but it works so well and doesn't dry my hair out so much. But in the balance, I have my hair cut twice a year only. By the most divine French hair stylist who loves my hair and me and is completely supportive of my no colour policy. I am going grey disgracefully! And if I feel like it I stick some of that dark pink temp colour over the greys and take advantage of them - nature has given me colourless highlights among my brunette hair so why not have a bit of fun eh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need feathers, jewels and bling in our life and which ever way we find glamour, as long as it really does work better than anything cheaper it is worth it. Ahh, for going grey disgracefully, I will immediately adopt that!!

      Delete
  4. I don't have hair on my head. The top part, anyway. Saves me a lot of penger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither does the man, he only has a shaving budget. And a lot of hats.

      Delete
  5. About £10? Four bottles of cheap anti-dandruff shampoo a year maybe (plus those freebies from hotels as a top up). I use WAHL clippers. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are goood!!!! Thanks for the comment, it is so good to know that there are further costs to trim when I need to.

      Delete