Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Boots2016


Winter boots is generally a difficult thing.

They must to be warm when worn outside but not too warm when going in somewhere.
They need to be normal looking so they can be worn to work and to nice trousers.
They need to keep wetness out but also be breathing not so soak my feet on the inside.
They should last more than one season so they have to be somewhat durable. 
Most importantly their soles must be adapted to walking on ice and be made of a material that can handle low temperatures. (I insist on this problem as I have a wonderful pair of very warm hiking boots that make me sure footed until the temperature drops below freezing when the soles turn to slightly wetted soaps.)

Through my life I have tried different styles and versions:
Suede boots (not good for rain but I still remember them fondly from a very snowy winter)
Cowboy boots (very slippery but oh, I was so cool)
Slouchy boots (nice in the office with suits but not very warm)
Big heavy warm scooter boots (and a pair of indoor shoes in the pocket)

I do not have a lot of shoes any more but I still have more than I need. I have strange feet and buying shoes is never an easy thing. I used to buy all shoes that fit and that looked fine. I still have more shoes than I need, especially since I have changed my life and I need very much less now.
    
This winter I wear the hiking boots I bought 2014. They almost immedetaly turned out to give terrible shaving on the heels. I have hammered them both from the inside and the outside but the problem persists. They can not be worn in warm weather. They can not be worn while carrying a back pack. I also found out that I actually can not even hike an entire day in them in cold weather without a back pack. However, they look nice, they are warm, they are not completely water proof but I think I can improve that, they are stable and sturdy and I can wear them an entire non-hiking day. So far, they have turned out to be a really great pair of winter shoes and I expect them to last me a few seasons at least so I do not need to buy winter shoes. They still remain to be tested on ice however.  

These boots may have been a wrong buy for what they were intended for but they have turned out to have been the right buy for something else. I am glad I kept them and has been able to put them to use for something else. After all, I had already made one mistake. I am glad I did not make the second by throwing them out too fast. This has given me free winter boots for this winter and possibly more.

Are you happy with your winter or bad weather shoes?

(Sorry New Zeeland but here in Old Zeeland it is sadly wet and icy right now. We all think envious of you in the Southern hemisphere.)

3 comments:

  1. My shoes for work are actually a horse riding shoe. Water resistant, comfortable and supportive, and I can walk a long distance without fatigue (Ariat Terrain H2O). For much of winter (including barn chores) Bogs Classic High boots are great. I have heavier boots for extreme conditions or if I have to be outside in winter as a spectator. Nothing I have found is good on ice so I have some Yaktrax which go on over my boots or shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine works in a nice shoe shop. She had me try in ladies winter shoes. Very dainty, stylish, light and completely incompatible with my lifestyle. But nice to know that they exists for the days when I will be a lady. Until then, it is sports- and hiking shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dainty and stylish isn't my cup of tea, either.

    ReplyDelete