Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Adventure2016

The man and I are going on an adventure this summer. It is good to have something to look forward to, something a bit more difficult or different than normal life. Every second year approximately is a good interval.

I finished my hobby-project, a Bachelor in History, in 2015 and I have now done the first year of the masters course. I like teaching but I am not going into academia. However, the man has been thoroughly corrupted by all this intellectualism and in the last year he has become extremely well read in one very specific area. There are a few topical overlaps to my historical topic and our discussions are sky-high.

Perhaps better said, down under ground.

After MUCH planning and discussions, we have for this coming summer volunteered at an community archaeology project in his topical country, in almost my topical time and covering both of our subjects. We will spend weeks on our knees in mud finding stones and bones not seen in day-light since the 14th century. We leave in a month and the amount of daily knee exercises is steadily increasing.

Volunteering for archaeology combines our love of books, art and history with hiking and camping and (sorry to all professionals out there) is best done with a stable FI to lean on. If we like it, it might be our new thing. We might be starting a new phase in our lives.

Thus, since January we have spent most of our free time reading about Ireland. We have tried to make out the history, the connections and references to other historical times and people we know of. We have walked the area on maps and looked up lots and lots and lots of references. We have tried to read the Gaelic and failed miserably pronouncing any of it. But yes, this is exactly why I will be wearing my Viking ship necklace this summer. I carry a quite hoity-toity British accent when speaking English if I don't pay attention and THERE I do not want to be mixed up with THOSE.
I will work hard on my Helga (from Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein), Inga, Swedish chef and Pippi Longstocking accent until then.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds totally awesome! I would love to listen in on one of your conversations with the man. Genetically I am 11% Irish, something I didn't know until I had my dna explored. It must come from my Viking heritage. Let your Norwegian vowels creep into your English and everything will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could emphasise the end of every sentence making it sound as everything is a question? Sounding proper Norwegian?

      Delete
  2. Just be yourself for we in Ireland are very used in listening to the world's different English accents, sure don't we have one ourselves with Irish-English :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that is very reassuring. To be honest, I am more afraid that I will not be understanding any of you!

      Delete