Sunday, 12 June 2016

Football

I like simple things in life.

I like sitting on the sofa, with the man with a bowl of food under my nose and my feet up - watching football. I did it last night when Wales won. I did it tonight when Northern Ireland lost.

I will do it tomorrow night when the Republic of Ireland will eat the grass under the feet of the Swedish national team. There will however be no bowl of food under my nose. I will be too nervous to eat tomorrow night.

The captain of the Swedish national team is from the town I call mine. I have seen him play since he was 16. His name is Zlatan Ibrahimovic and I am proud that he is a fellow Swede.
Tomorrow we will take on our first game in the Euro 2016 competition.

I am of course wearing the national football jersey to work tomorrow.
I will have a very very difficult task to focus on work tomorrow.

(By the way, do not call it soccer outside the US. If you have to, call it International football. This differentiates it from American football, Aussie football, Irish football and all the other types of football and identifies that you have thought about what you are trying to communicate.)

Why is football so important? Most of our lives are quite normal and lived without dramatic ups and downs.
With football, in the arena, with the team and the fans, your emotions will get 90 minutes of massage. Your feelings will go from the highest high to, if it is a bad day, the lowest low and the entire range of emotions that are within your range. It may go on beyond the game, including the hours both before and after. There is very little that gets me going as much as football does.

Nothing condones violence in the arena. Everything is about the teams performance.
Everything that draws the supporters attention from the team is a failure for the supporter.
A person who is not focused on the team is not a supporter. A person focused on the opposing team and even worse, on the opposing teams supporters, should go home.

7 comments:

  1. "Republic of Ireland will eat the grass under the feet of the Swedish national team"....well we will see about that!! Just found your blog through ere, love the writing and your story. Gary from DUBLIN!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever happends to night on the field, it will be a fantastic evening. We both have the best fans (with the welch) and it will be a party. Oooo, I can't wait...

      Delete
  2. The very best of luck Vikinggirl, i think it might be a good game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck to you too! Beer on me in Dublin in July if Sweden gets out of the group.

      Delete
  3. That's a deal and you'll be most welcome here anytime. I like watching Ibrahimović play a lot ..but that's when he's not playing against us! All i know is we won't give up, Roy will make sure of that ;-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ireland for a great evening - and result. So sorry, but still - thanks!

      Delete
  4. Its still all to play for i think! and Belgium don't look as terrifying as everyone was saying..but Italy.. wow... they're looking very good indeed! Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete