Friday, 24 June 2016

Wearing out

I do not buy clothes. I stopped about five years ago, I think. I have been given a bit from the trash gods however. This last year a sweater, a tank top and a pair of summer trousers, so there is no real emergency.
Actually I did buy a little last year but in general, I never think of buying clothes or of ever needing to buy clothes.
I still have a lot of clothes.

Five years ago I had even more clothes. I knew it would last me a long time to wear it all out so I sorted all clothes in two groups: 1) wear now until it wears out and 2) wear later when 1) is worn out.

I donated anything that made me unhappy for some reason, including never having fitted well, but I kept everything that fitted and was okey-is, regardless of how many of each I was left with. Honestly, in reality, this took probably close to two years to do and finish.

I still have some clothes in group 2) but the storage is rapidly shrinking (not the pile of tank tops though, that will last me an eternity. Why, how did I end up with so many? I am not a minimalist, just cheap, so I keep them until I need them.

I have by now also created another group: 3) clothes that I am not allowed to wear out of the house any more. This includes a pair of street-found Ralph Lauren shorts of excellent quality in my perfect size that however are so incredibly unflattering for my figure, only the man are going to be allowed to see then in the future. It also includes the trousers to my much loved pair of suits bought in 2008 for a new job. Man, was I smart looking. Now I wear them to the park. Actually, by now they are not even fit for the park. Not in daytime. They fit like a glove and are so comfortable but the knees and the bum area are threadbare and I really should not let even my neighbours see me in them.

I will however continue to wear the suit jackets with jeans and t-shirts (squints my eyes really hard and refuse to see that they too are threadbare). I wear the silk blouses out camping. Scarves are used as light weight camping towels. Chic winter coat is kept for special outings, and then worn with boots. Any replacements are colourful and casual to fit with my new life style. Most of it goes rather well with my old clothes. The only thing I do not wear are the office shoes. So-so-SO uncomfortable after five years in light athletics shoes and boots. Posh I was though.

6 comments:

  1. I recently looked at my closet and decided I do not need anymore clothes either. And this was after I did a huge clean out. I also made the radical decision to stop sleeping in old T shirts. I bought myself an adorable pair of winter pajamas and a lovely cotton night gown for summer. There's no reason why my spouse should have to put up with me sitting around in dingy, worn out clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good going! (The man thinks all clothes are unnecessary on me so I get away with it.)

      Delete
  2. I'm sure I have things I haven't worn in years. I really should give them away or take them to recycling if they aren't too worn out. It would make more space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you should, you know you can, you will - tell me when it is done, will you?

      Delete
    2. I will, but I am probably the king of procrastination.

      Delete
    3. That is fine, a plan is still a plan!

      Delete