Friday, 19 August 2016

Clothes2016

We came home from our trip with our 12-13 kilo backpacks and our 2 kilo bags of clothes.
As almost everything we used for our month in Ireland was camping, hiking or running gear, it washed and dried quickly and could be folded up.
I stopped there.

I wanted to take the time to go through all my clothes before everything went into the wardrobe.
Counting, trying on, assessing needs and removing items that really should not be used much more.
I even attempted to dust and clean all shelves and hangers.

I didn't get through it all. Not even I live up to my, usually continuously reduced, requirements.

However, what I DID DO was the following:
Pile of not to be used much more-clothes:
I did bring and completely wear out some clothes in Ireland which were thrown in a container (for household waste) on our last day, including a pair of old jeans (buttocks hanging out). But as soon as I opened the wardrobe at home, I immediately saw items that I did not or should not wear much any more. They all immediately went into a pile containing odd bras, worn out socks, badly fitting tops, shorts and some almost completely worn out trousers. I will see if I will use any of this at home (I do work from home sometimes) and try to dress myself from the pile. But I doubt much of it will be selected for re-use and it will go into my "on the way out of the door" box. I will go through these as well as all other items already in the box and then be done with the whole lot. Most of it is not even good enough for charity. I do wear out my clothes but then I also have a storage of good clothes not currently in use to draw from, so I do not really need to buy new things. 

Start counting clothes and assessing needs:
I got as far as the following:
Trousers: NO NEEDS. In total 18 pairs of items to wear on my legs, including very nice, almost unworn office trousers as well as sports trousers, shorts, shorts and hiking trousers. Pyjama trousers and skirts are not included (but is seriously easy to add: 4 pyjama bottoms and 2 skirts).
Underwear: NO NEEDS unless it is free, then I can buy three very specific items in the right colour, size, design and price (so far quite elusive items). But other than that, the need for underwear, including bra's and slips is fulfilled.
Pyjama: NO NEEDS but want a silk pyjama and since they are very expensive (about €70 and my budget would be around €5) it is a no go. Still a want though. Otherwise four bottoms, three tops, two gowns and a pair of sleeping socks will see me through the winter. If I need any more, this is something I could and should sew.
Socks: NO NEEDS although I thought this was what I would have to buy this year. But with 10 warm socks, five long socks, 6 short sockies, 8 traditional black cotton socks for the office, two cheerful socks, 2 sport socks and a pairs for sleeping, I really do not need any more during the winter. Then - in 2017- I will go and buy a ten-pack of my favourite supermarket basic standard black socks (which has a distinct feature so that the man and I can differentiate between our otherwise identical standard black socks). I will then toss out all the old office socks in one go.

I did not get around to count and assess needs among tops, light sweaters, warm sweaters and jackets - but if I remember correctly and look at the piles and piles of clothes I still own (counted in 2015) -
I do not need anything soon anyway. I was given a t-shirt from the archaeological dig we attended this summer. Great quality with a funny print and I will wear it a few times and then probably sleep very well in it for about ten years.
If something changes, I'll get the clothes I then need. But I am not buying for just in case.
I have all the just in case I need.

11 comments:

  1. Can I suggest that when you do buy new, you buy consciously from responsibly sourced products, not by price?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not just find new clothes in the trash? OOOOOKey! ;)

      Delete
  2. Hello - for some reason I have only just realised you run a blog. Here I am. If you want me to run through your itinerary, just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - I am most disappointed to see that you use an approval system. That's no good - I want instant gratification, and you will get more comments without it! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Buy cheap (as in poorly made or poor quality) buy twice' is one line I try to live by (you wouldn't believe it by my last post though!) I can ill afford top prices but quality items may be sourced from charity shops, buy n sell pages or auction sites. Yes they be second hand mostly but if in excellent condition why not? Oh I do draw the line at second hand 'thunder pants' though....
    Also these 'seconds' are responsibly sourced as they are being sort of recycled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM so right there with you John, for most things. If items survive until second hand, it is good quality and will survive a renovation/renovation. I will admit I like to have some buying therapy though, so I buy new and cheap for some things. But what Maryanne calls 'responsibly sourced' really is something us cheap frugalists should consider - especially avoiding products manufactured in conditions of austerity we wouldn't want to work in ourselves.

      Delete
    2. I'm all up on second hand stuff, though at my size I don't generally get to find things that way. Household things, yes!! I scored a fabulous lamp stand the other day!

      Delete
    3. Oh Maryanne, don't I know it. I can barely buy normal clothes to fit this frame.

      Delete