Tuesday, 18 April 2017

Vegetables

One of my short term ambitions for 2017 was to have a month without meat from March.
That did not work out completely. It took a few weeks and a few public announcements to remember that I was not to eat meat.

Now, six weeks later I can say that at least during the last three weeks I have not had meat. (I think.)
I have had fish and egg and cheese and dairy so I am neither vegetarian nor vegan.
Nor do I aspire to be. Not yet and not labelling myself as such.

But currently we have no meat in the house (except fish, and although it is illogical, I will treat it differently). We didn't buy any when we stocked up last time and we decided that if we really want meat one day, we will go and buy it then. Then we will buy exactly the meat we want and the best we can get. None of that 'cheap as possible, keep it at home just in case' because that stifles the creativity to eat without meat.

A bit of creativity is needed to change the routines in the kitchen. The man is very good at cooking and I am very good at using up left-overs and using what is just about to go bad before it does. Together we keep track of each other.
Thankfully we both already like lentils, beans, carrots, potatoes and I have forced cabbage and kale through to having become a staple food item in our house because I like it.
We cook pasta with veggie stir-fries and cheese on top, all and any Indian and Asian dishes, lentils, beans, polenta, couscous, pumpkin and all steamed/boiled veggies with sardines, mayonnaise, aioli, chilli sauce etc. on the side. When it is cold, we make roasted vegetables in the oven. We try to buy and use all available vegetables to find new flavours and favourites, both fresh and frozen. We also use all spices in the house to vary the flavour.
Tip for adults: Steam endive, serve with a few slices of a strong cheese on top and mustard on the side. Better than pizza.

The food prices are down considerably!!
It is amazing how cheap it is to eat predominantly vegetarian! There is no budgetary limit to the quality and price of meat that we ever want to buy, because we save probably close to half of our weekly food budget by not buying meat. The fish vendor sells us the best and the freshest there is and still it is cheaper than our standard meat almost every day budget.
Beat that!
With six no-meat days a week, meat becomes a delicatessen. Something to splurge on. Something to demand quality from. Something to research and wait for. Something to cherish. Ecological from small farmers. Game. Best cuts. Prepared with care and consideration.
It is not a 'what did I just eat' item any more.

Vegetables are the staple in our house now and although the man always has been very good at demanding his two veg per meal - I am now on board too.

And another side effect - besides being environmental and animal friendly (not for fish, I admit) is that I am dropping weight like there was no tomorrow.
Even with (home made) cheese sauce on top, a portion of steamed veggies NEVER reaches the calorie levels of meat.
Not even lean meat.

Do you have a favourite vegetable?

2 comments:

  1. To answer your last question first. Avocados. Or maybe tomatoes. I would also do without meat more than we do in order to get the good cuts when we do eat it. I think I could often do better with road kill than cheap store bought meat. We eat vegetarian just one or two days a week, but fish doesn't count. The way you are doing this sounds very reasonable and tasty as well as making weight control easier. Gratulerer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived were you life, I would try to shot or trap all my own meat myself (eventually, currently very out of practice) and sure, I would eat a road kill pie when I come by.

      Delete