Saturday, 6 May 2017

Pricket

I own a pair of much loved, much cherished and very imposing brass pricket candlesticks.

Pricket candle sticks means that they can only be used with church candles (the ones with a hole in the bottom).

I bought them in 2002 from the police when they sold stolen items where the owner could not be identified. So I do not know where they come from but I know they have been stolen. They are now mine until somebody with a better claim comes along.

The candlesticks are very HEAVY, 8 kg each and made from brass. They are almost half a metre high and with a base plate of 0,4 metre and a top plate (to catch the dripping candle wax) about 0,3 metre wide. They dominate any room and I love them.

They look like they could be made in the 16th or early 17th century and they look Flemish or German (Nuremberg) but then not quite. They could sit on a kings table or a catholic church altar but not quite. Not everything is right.

Since they became mine, I have spent a lot of researching and reading books on historic candlestick designs and metal works. I can identify any kind of European metal candlestick at a glance - except my own. They are unidentifiable and this has possessed my mind for close to ten years.

Yesterday they were identified by an expert. The most adorable little man with white hair and a bushy moustache and with extreme knowledge, he knew immediately what they were
- and what they were not.

My candle sticks are not 15th century and they are not 16th century.
They are also not 17th century.
However, they have something from each period, different styles are combined, making them resembling various 16th century candlesticks style without being copies or anything.
They are definitely made in the early 19th century.
Further than that, it is not possible to identify them.
But he loved them too.

He also made clear that they are most probably not made for any kind of religious community (although there are very similar candlesticks in my favourite synagogue - where I go for the music, and they let me in, pagan as I am, because they are good people and because good people do not care about a persons religion but their actions - but I digress....)

Anyway, they are valued to 600-800 € the pair, not more.
It is sad they are not from my favourite historical period but it also means that I now can use them, admire them, display them and be proud of them.

They are mine and nobody can or will take them away from me. 
I also do not need to add to my home insurance or donate them to a museum or even write a monograph about their history so that they are not forgotten in art history.

I can just love them and finally show them off.
(Banana for scale.)

2 comments:

  1. They are very nice! I am surprised no one claimed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them too. (I think they may have been stolen in another country but there is no way of knowing.) Mark your valuables people!

      Delete