Saturday, 29 July 2017

Eye on savings

Today I had a lesson to remind me why I save and have savings.

Something got stuck in my eye last night somehow. I was not doing anything special, I had not been doing anything special and still, when I took my lenses out to go to bed, something cut into my eye. The eyeball. Blood red. Painful.
No amount of rinsing made any difference. Eye drops hurt.
When the man came home, I was in bed with one eye closed and slightly whimpering.
Eventually, we called the medical hot-line and was, after eliminating the high-risk scenarios, advised me to take a paracetamol and seek medical help in the morning if it didn't get better.

It didn't get better (but I did sleep).
After half an hour on the phone, I had a doctors appointment within the hour. We were there early and I got in directly.
Examined, treated, advised and medicated within ten minutes.
Two small darkblue fragments were removed. Unindenifiable.
All this in English (well, sort of, but very helpful since English is not the language of the county where I currently am)! Banned from wearing lenses for a while, so I'll be blind bat Betty for a while.
As I am uninsured here, I had to pay full price. 105 euro.
Now, about ten hours later, my eye has almost healed and life can go on.

And this is why savings are so important. Accidents will always happen, even when this probably never will happen to you.
With savings readily available, I could throw money at the problem and make it go away.
If I had not seen a doctor immediately, the problems would increase and threaten my eye sight.

Because I have access to national universal health care, I will get most of the money back, but that is in this case beside the point.
It is important to have savings enough to pay for that first visit to a doctor.
Access to competent health care even more important.
Insurance too, but the first doctors visit is often vital to get arranged quickly.
(and the rest of the world feels very concerned for all Americans this week.)

10 comments:

  1. And it's a good idea to hold a proportion of your savings of cash. How liquid are the rest of your assets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One month spending money on a debit card, six months basic budgets on a savings account (possible to withdraw), ten years in solid savings easy to access, ten years in stocks, five years in index funds - approximately.

      Delete
    2. Does this mean your total savings are 10 years of your required income? I would classify stocks and index funds as "easy to access".

      Delete
    3. I'll tell you exactly on the first of next month.

      Delete
  2. I had a similar incident once and it hurt a lot. Same outcome, but it cost me a couple of hundred Euros (equivalent) which I never got back. You are lucky to be from a civilized country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed, but it I still have to have it available when it happens and that is the difficulty.

      Delete
  3. You're right! and glad your eye is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am almost healed, although I am still blind bat Betty. Almost amusing actually.

      Delete
  4. Yikes!! Eye injuries freak me out..the thought of my vision being compromised is a horrible thought. Plus I hate wearing my glasses and rely on my contacts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Me too. Me too. And it was in my good reading eye!

      Delete