Saturday, 8 July 2017

Growth


"The process of removing obstacles to growth can be as simple as forgoing certain daily habits. Researchers estimate, for example, that roughly half of an American adult's leisure time is spent in front of a television set. Over a period of forty years, that represents tens of thousands of hours that could be more profitably be spent learning a foreign language, practising a musical instrument, developing a new business idea, building a crafts project, or engaging in hundreds of other activities spanning all seven intelligences. Similarly, other common leisure-time activities, such as reading magazines and newspapers, talking to others or "spacing-out", do virtually nothing to move you into exploring new intellectual terrain. Bu simply choosing to stop engaging in these activities, or cutting them back, you can open up windows of time to pursue the development of hidden potentials."

Thomas Armstrong, 7 kinds of smart, revised and updated with information on 2 new kinds of smart (1993), p 160.
The book presents psychologist Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences, in an unfortunately rather poor, jumbled and by now completely out-dated way. There are many interesting things in professor Gardner's theory and you can read more here.
In Armstrong's book, only the quote above caught my attention.

4 comments:

  1. I don't spend half my leisure time in front of a TV. I spend it in front of my computer reading blogs and surfing the net! Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. I usually watch the morning news and this month the Tour de France. I really should be more discerning in my television time and do more learning (and blog reading) especially in winter. Though I do read a lot more then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all could do well to consider a reduction of "screen-time" in general

      Delete