Sunday, 14 January 2018

Blind

In my apartment I have Venetian blinds - or rather, I have one because the apartment is so small there is only one window. (The man's apartment have only curtains and pull down blinds.)
The window is rather modern and the blind is of the same age.
However, I still managed to break off the holder for the stick last year.

Today, when I dug through a box of stuff to try and sort it out (to make the box fit into another shelf), I came across all spare parts for blinds that I kept from when I repaired all blinds in my old house before selling it (nothing adds value to a property cheaper and quicker than functioning and clean window blinds).

I wiped off the window frame, and noticed that what was needed was a stick holder, a string holder (the winding part) and a new plastic end to the string. In the box with spare parts I found a brand new stick holder and  the broken stick holder, a sting holder and five new plastic ends.
Carefully detatching the stick holder, I carefully nailed on the new one, possibly two minutes job. Unscrewing the sting holder, the identical new one was in place within thirty seconds. Then all knots on the string were slowly untied (one of my secret talents is to untie difficult knots), the old end slid out, the new slid on (in the right direction on the first try) and the place for the new knot was estimated, this took possibly up to ten minutes. The strings are not very clean and slightly frayed right where the string gets wound onto the windy sting when the blind is pulled up. Ideally the strings could be changed and also the stick could be exchanged. (I have everything needed for this job in the repair box but it will not happen now.)

I decided to make the string knot so hiding the frayed part and shortening the string slightly instead. Tying hard, cutting the ends evenly and sealing the ends with the fire of a lighter, not burning my fingers when flattening the melting ends, the plastic end was pulled down hard to cover the knot and the end. This took up to five minutes.

Then I repacked the left overs of each item in its different little plastic bag, folded up and stapled shut, repacking the box with repair items, another minutes or two It finally fitted into the shelf and disappeared from sight.
I patted myself on the shoulder for the twenty minute job well done.
Then I promptly forgot about it.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Time and two hand can create things even with zero current budget.

      Delete
  2. Nice that you could fix it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother taught me and using up the leftovers is better than decluttering and rebuying new when needed.

      Delete